If its red you can click it.
The game of Bowls has been played in Bristol for at least 400 years according to a report published in the Bristol Times and Mirror on the 21st May 1906. It stated that in 1602 on what is now Queens Square and was then known as the Marsh, a Green was laid out by the City Surveyors for the ‘Merchants and Gentlemen’ to play their Bowls.
There was at this time a Bowling Green in the Pithay as well as The Cock Pit, St. James Barton, Redcliffe Hill, Wapping, and Hotwells.
In preparation for the Siege of 1643 the Green in the Marsh was destroyed to make way for a Battery. It was not until 1894 that the first organised Bowls Club was formed in Bristol under the title The Bristol Arrow Bowling and Quoits Club. The Green was at the County Cricket Ground (photo) and the original members were all connected to the printing firm of J. W. Arrowsmith. The initial subscription was 2/-
The book ‘The First Hundred Years’ by John Lawes is a comprehensive account of the Club’s history. Some of the more noteworthy events are listed here.
W. G. Grace was a founder member and first President of the English Bowling Association.
The club was affiliated to the EBA for a fee of 10/6d.
We were founder members of the West of England Bowling League.
The green was enlarged by the addition of 2 rinks, presumably to 6 rinks.
A new pavilion was erected at a cost of £50.
Mr J. Rafter of the University Club, when responding to a toast at the Arrow end of season dinner, suggested that a group of men could hire a long room where ‘druggets’ might be laid down and games played. This could be the first idea of ‘Indoor Bowls’, which did not happen in Bristol until 1950.
A drugget is a woven and felted coarse woollen fabric.
Membership restrictions were lifted and we became a fully independent club. (photo)
The Railway Company gave us a lease for 7 years at £20 pa.
Our lease was secured for another 21 years at £55 pa.
The War Damage Commission awarded the club £56 6s 0d for damage to the pavilion and £27 15s 10d for damage to the Chalet.
Our 4th tour and first post-
Harold Maynard bowled the first wood. It was after the CCBBA match that the Club was presented with a pair of woods that had belonged to J. W. Pearce, our Hon. Secretary and our Hon. Treasurer in 1902.
We were the first West Country Bowls Club to hold a Frances Drake Fellowship Tournament.
A new lease was finalised with British Rail for a period of 15 years at a cost of £400.
The club entered the South West Bowling League, later to become the Bristol and District Bowling League.
On the 25th May the Arrowsmith printing firm, represented by Ms Victoria Arrowsmith-
On the 17th September H. C. H. (Cecil) Punchard died. At the time he was our longest serving member having joined the club in 1929. He had been Secretary and Chairman of the Arrow and President of the CCBBA.
Plans for another extension were passed by the Planning Committee. (photo)
The Ladies Bowling Club was founded by Mrs Pat Marsh.
A celebratory dinner was held in the Merchant Suite of the UWE on 29th October. (photo)
The stone wall round 2 edges of our property was built by Fred Avery. (photo)
The majority of the work was carried out by our own members. (Roll of Honour)
On September 12 in the afternoon just after the Umbrella game had finished a helicopter landed on the green. A medical emergency somewhere nearby required the services of the helicopter and our green was the only area big enough for it to land. (photo)
We celebrated our 125th Anniversary with a few special matches against Gloucester BA, Somerset BA and
Island Bohemian BC. (photos)
Our longest serving member, Alan Wells, was presented with a cake and a card on Captains Day in honour
of his 50 years in the Arrow. (photos)
Bristol Arrow Bowling Club
Bristol Arrow Bowling Club